Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving and whatnot

Reading all of your posts about Thanksgiving is really making me feel a little bit homesick! Luckily, there's a Canadian-owned cafe downtown that's planning on making some American Thanksgiving foods this weekend... turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. Hopefully we'll make it down there. My poor husband has missed out on that last 3 Thanksgivings, and I've missed out on the last 2! I would totally try to make Thanksgiving dinner for us and our friends, but considering that I only have a toaster oven, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work. Most Korean apartments don't have ovens; it's just not a part of the Korean traditional food culture.

Now, what am I thankful for (not in any particular order)?

1. I'm thankful for my wonderful, loving, supportive husband who's been my rock through every crisis, who tells me I'm beautiful even when I haven't showered in 2 days, and who's becoming better every day at that whole mind-reading thing.

2. I'm thankful that we had to opportunity to come to Korea; we've been able to dig ourselves out of debt, grow stronger as a couple, and I'm *finally* getting skinny.

3. I'm thankful that my father met a woman who loves him and takes good care of him :)

4. I'm thankful for my lapband. It's been a life-changer, even in the few short weeks that I've had it.

5. I'm thankful for my incredible in-laws; they've been so supportive in every crazy (and not-so-crazy) decision Marc and I have made. I really couldn't ask for better in-laws.

6. I'm thankful for Rachel, my best friend/girlfriend/sister. I'm so glad we met 10.5 years ago! If not for you, darling, I'm pretty sure I would have gone completely nutso a long time ago.

7. I'm thankful for my friends in Korea who I'm pretty sure God put in my path just when I needed them most. Really, that kind of timing isn't coincidence!

8. I'm thankful for all of YOU who comment on my blog and uplift and encourage me everyday! Thank you, Blogland!

9. I'm thankful for my Korean adjumma (old married woman) who cleans my apartment every other Tuesday at 10am. She's really a lifesaver. Marc and I would be lost in our own filth if not for her!

10. I'm thankful for ondol (under-floor heating) that keeps my feet toasty warm and gives the cats a new place to sleep.
He found a warm spot

11. I'm thankful that my fingers aren't quite so sausagey; I like the way my fingers look in this picture--you can see knuckles! And my rings aren't cutting off circulation.



I think that's all. Goodnight--and Happy Thanksgiving!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I admire you for living in another country. I guess I could do it if I had to, but I am more comfortable to be here in Florida! It is nice reading your blog.

Unknown said...

Aww, you're sweet! You've kept me pretty sane and grounded & I love you for it. If you were to rank this list, though, I wouldn't hold it against you if your adjumma ranked above me. My housekeeper failed, so Adam and I are on our own cleaning the house :(
The black and white picture reminds me of your mom.
Have a good thanksgiving. Hopefully the Canadians can make better Thanksgiving foods than they can mexican food. (those are the same people, right?) <3 Rae

~Lisa~ said...

I too admire you and your husband for what you're doing! Thank YOU for being YOU.. And, I love the black and white photo - thank you for sharing!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Justawallflower said...

Those are some wonderful things to be thankful for! question: if they don't have stoves, how do they cook? granted, I don't use my oven very often, but I'm not a cook by any stretch of the imagination. Happy Thanksgiving!

Rachel said...

Happy Thanksgiving...you are loved and blessed.

Amanda Kiska said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Amanda said...

Lovely post! I love the picture as well! I know that I have a happy life and it seems like you do too! Happy Thanksgiving way over there!

Anonymous said...

That sure does look like a cute cat. And aren't knuckles the greatest thing to discover? :-) Just wait until you get to ribs!

Anonymous said...

Just about the nicest Thanksgiving blog I have ever read. We are so glad you are our family. We are grateful for you too. I so wanted to teach my sons to be a good husbands. Glad to see it is working out. Maybe we will have to make turkey and dressing when you come home. It has been a long time. We love y'all. Happy Thanksgiving!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com